Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tiny people


Before I started doing model horses full time, I worked in a stop-motion animation studio, making puppets. Although I love sculpting horses, sculpting tiny people is what I enjoy most, and its what I think I am best at. I love doing characters with wild expressions!

I've done quite a few for people to use with their model horses, and a high proportion of those have been native americans, or specialty dolls of different ethnicities. If only I could sew, I could make the coolest art dolls! Art Dolls is a collector's hobby all by itself, and perhaps when I get some free time I will do some in a larger scale. I may try my hand at doing larger scale clothes at some point, like for a 18" doll. That would be fun to sculpt!

Here is an old lady I am working on for a client to use with a model horse setup. She still needs ears and the rest of her head, but I thought this image so funny I had to share. I can just hear her yelling... can't you? I'll posts pics of her again when I'm further along.

3 comments:

Laura Dotson-Thomson said...

That is so cool, though a little creepy at the same time... I can just see a whole market for those...

Liesl said...

HAHA... they ARE creepy. Especially when you see them all lined up along with various other body parts in the oven... ;-)

Unknown said...

Oh I love em! I have made some little heads like that too. One time I made a little fairy in a jar .. he had his hands up against the jar like hey let me out of here!..lol I need to make another one of them someday.. we do need more dolls in the hobby..I have even thought of making some but I just never fond time and I dont know how to make them so they can be movable.. so yes do some! maybe have someone else do the cloths for them? thats a cool idea though.. I am suppose to do a jockey for a client and may do a mold of it.. but it will be clothed so you can paint the jockey colors..
I hope you post more pics when your done with her! and any others you do....she really is cool! and Id love to hear more about your job doing that! its something i had wanted to do at one time..I always thought it would be fun to sculpt for movies or animation studios...so how was it!
Rebecca Turner
www.solticeartstudio.blogspot.com