Tuesday, April 7, 2009

custom plastics


Here are some more pics of the mustang stallion, including some closeups.

All too often I think that custom plastics are looked upon as second-class citizens in the model horse world. There are a variety of reasons for this; one being that so many of us start on plastics when we begin painting and experimenting, creating a much higher percentage of poorly painted and/or remade plastics when compared to resins. That's just the way its always been, and probably always will be.

That being said, there is no reason that all custom plastics be looked up on as 'less than' resins. They are equally valid as any resin, and a good custom will be able to compete with them if done properly. This is something I have learned first hand when working not only on this guy, but also several other plastic pieces. Sure, they may have less detail. And sure, they may have prepping issues. But that becomes the fun challenge... restoring them to their original beauty. I don't ever see myself customizing plastic, in the same way other artist's do. It is not my choice of medium when I want to change it up/repurpose a horse. I see myself more as a restoration artist when it comes to plastics-- I want to make them how they once were... and I have a special fondness for the old molds like those by Maureen Love and the PAF by Chris Hess.

So these pieces, even though they are plastic, should be treated with the same love and care as any resin would. You can't see them as "just plastic"... you have to see them as a piece of artwork that happens to be reproduced in plastic. All those OFs you see discarded in the body box originally came from the hands of artists. Artists who cared about that piece, from start to finish, and continue to live on through each reproduction of it. Once you see this, you can go about removing those seams and redetailing the piece with new purpose... its not just a plastic; its a sculpture with an artist, a sculpture which has been distorted over years of reproduction but could be brought back to its former glory.

2 comments:

dizzijoi said...

Before resins came along the cm plastic was the king. I for one am thrilled to see painted plastic because I can relate to it unlike the resins which are not my cup of tea. Where they get old is when they are airbrushed in cookie cutter fashion and no effort is taken to add a bit of personality to the model. As one who is not a real good painter on plastic I try and put personality into it and tell a story. Amazing how they are literally invisible at NAN type live shows when on the table but I get lots of positive comments about them and in our fun shows they shine.

Old Cowgirl said...

It is so wonderful to see artists do such fine quality work on these old plastics. In my opinion, some of these old sculptures are as charming as the resins.
And, what a joy to see what was originally intended as a child's toy rendered into such AMAZING artwork!

I am grateful that there are still some of you fine artists willing to work on these ratty old plastics!