Thursday, June 4, 2009

Hayden finds a treasure

Since Greg and I are trying to eat healthier, especially for breakfast, we picked up a watermelon the last time we went to the store. This morning Greg cut it up and took the rind outside to the compost pile in the far corner of our yard.

Later this afternoon, while the dogs were out sunning themselves, I got up to get something to drink and saw Hayden running full speed from one corner of the yard to the other... with something in his mouth... a very LARGE something. I ran outside thinking he had gotten into the laundry again... but then when I saw what he had... I had to get my camera. That little snitch had stole the whole rind out of the compost pile!
He took it up to his favorite sunny spot on the hill and put it on his paws... delicately picking out all the bits of red melon still left on the rind. He looked so pleased with himself, nibbling on his prize... it gave me an idea. I think I might pick up another watermelon and give it to Lilly, my naughty horse. That might be a fun "enrichment" activity and photo-op...

3 comments:

Sian said...

How cute! Hmmm... I have watermelon in the fridge, too!

Braymere said...

He has very good taste. I like watermelon, too!

horsienut said...

Ha Ha! My Doberman did the same thing with a piece of watermelon rind we tossed into the backyard for the wild critters to munch on. It reminded me a lot of Hayden - the way he carried it around it was like he had found a special treasure!