Saturday, June 27, 2009

Crazy weather and an old friend


As I hover obsessively over the incoming NAN results (I sent out 3 horses for halter/workmanship, two of which got a top 10 so far! Now to watch the workmanship classes)... I also have been prepping horses with my old friend, Plastikote sandable primer. Plastikote is my all-time FAVORITE primer in the whole wide world. I cannot sing its praises enough; it creates an ideal painting surface and is just wonderful. Primer may seem like such a small thing, but since Michael's stopped carrying it (they switched over to Valspar, which is terrible) I have been experimenting with other primers, like Rustoleum and Krylon sandable primer... but nothing has that same ease of use. Plastikote has the most wonderful finish, with no burs, powder, dripping or mess. Just a super smooth, ultra velvety finish that nothing else can compete with. So, I've basially been searching high and low for it for MONTHS. I've tried craft stores, hobby shops, and every autobody shop I could find... all with no luck.

Last night Greg and I went out to dinner at our favorite Japanese restaurant (he was trying to make me feel better since I couldn't be at NAN), and I spied an autobody shop in the same plaza. I went in to get another can of Rustoleum, which what I have been using in this interum period, and GASP... sitting there on a shelf, in all its magnificent glory... was Plastikote sandable primer. Sure, it cost $7 a can, but I didn't care. I bought all 4 cans and triumphantly came squeeling out of the store. The guys there must have thought I was nuts. Greg understands though... he hears me swearing like a sailor every time the other primers have misbehaved. Plastikote though... it never lets me down.

So today I've been prepping away, enjoying it very much now that I have my trusy primer at my side. I've mostly been sitting outside, since its actually nice out today. Humid and hot, of course, but at least its not crazy outside like it has been the last few days. We actually had a tornado yesterday!!! Can you believe it?? In CT!!! First it was sunny and god-awful humid... then it was so windy it was unbelievable... and then we had quarter-sized hail. Greg actually took video of it, and we are trying to get it off his phone so I can post it here. The hail was coming down so hard it dented and took paint off my car. Poor Subaru. I feel terrible for the farmers in this area... I hope their crops are ok.

The only nice part about the freaky weather is that we did get a fantastic rainbow last night. So, it had a happy ending. Well, except for my car. :-(

2 comments:

horsienut said...

Liesl,
I've found Plastikote at Tractor Supply in CT, and it's quite a bit cheaper than the auto parts stores. Not sure how close you are to one but it might be worth a visit. I only make the trip to TSC a few times per year and I stock up every time I go!

Morgen said...

Wait, that tornado was over near you???

Holy crow - I HATE tornadoes. They scare me like nothing else... Every year when I sit around and say "yeah, I can't afford Breyerfest again this year" I console myself with the fact that KY is in tornado country.

Do post the picture. I watched the mad hailstorm we had here out the window yesterday too. Meanwhile, 4 miles away as the crow flies where my BFs shop is, there wasn't a raindrop in sight. It rained and hailed intermittently HERE though (downstream of there) for over an hour.

I love Rustoleum .. but I'm glad you found your Plasti-kote there finally. :D