Tuesday, March 3, 2009

the next few horses/sales

Bambi has arrived safe and sound at her new home, and I know she'll be much loved there. I am so happy with how that sale went!

As I told her new owner, the little mustang foal was such a breath of fresh air to work on, I enjoyed every minute of it. Its been my new-found love of the old Hagans sculpted by M. Love that really made me want to get my hands on some of their plastic counterparts. In china, they have so much more detail... I wanted to take the plastics and perhaps give them some of that back, but in a different way.

It actually inspired me to hunt down some of my other favorite OFs to work on, including a very old PAF who I've been tinkering with (I found one with amazing mold detail), and a very old PAM, whose detail also is just lovely. My plan for them is to customize them very subtley, kind of like the mustang foal, to bring out their natural charm and accentuate their detail. I want to really bring them back to how the artist originally envisioned them, with a little twist of my own to make them special.

Although the PAF is farthest along, I have actually gotten the mustang mare and stallion about 60% ready for paint. They won't be getting the same level of fluff that their baby did, but instead I am redetailing their coats and adding detail to their manes/tails. I've also gotten the little Imp prepped (boy, that was a trip... he is one tiny dude). Admittedly, because of this I am a bit nervous about painting him. I honestly don't think I've ever painted anything this size.

Here is what I have planned for him; I haven't decided on chestnut or bay yet for the base color.

I also will be going to my favorite art store (Jerry's Art A Rama) and getting some new tiny brushes just for him. I need as fine a point as I can get for this one! Its probably an ambitious color, but I think its going to turn out fantastic.

My first show is March 14th, so I'm trying to prepare for that. I have a few pieces I need to finish up before I can try to offer another sales piece. My goal is to start offering something every month, or if its something small, 2 somethings every month. That way it pushes me to keep a better schedule and also forces me to balance the remaining commissions with sales pieces.

So... the next piece I will offer for sale will be around March 16-17th. It will be the Imp, followed shortly after by Mr. America who was *supposed* to be offered back in Feb., but thanks to my poor time management skills he's a month late. Blarg. Ah...He's well worth it though; he's one sexy guy!

No comments: