Thursday, January 8, 2009

Speaking of 'little' birds...


Today while I was walking into my parent's house from my studio (my studio is in one of out-buildings on my parents' farm), I saw the most enormous blue bird land on their deck railing.

This guy looked like a duck he was so large... and while he tried to peck at the dogs who wanted to sniff him, I managed to get my camera.

I love blue birds... they just have so much attitude! He just looks so annoyed at the world. He was so bold I could have reached out and touched him... but seeing that his beak was large enough to take off the end of my finger (and I wouldn't have put it past him to try it)... I just snapped away and let him hop around looking grumpy. It was amazing to watch him fly off... I had my doubts that he would make it off the ground. But sure enough, he spread his wings, dive-bombed the basset hound and took off for the trees. I hope I see him again sometime.

1 comment:

Laura Dotson-Thomson said...

Now isn't he just all fluffed up to the max. Must have been a cold day. I love blue jays too, though hate having them nest in our trees since they are quite aggressive.