Monday, January 12, 2009

Eeeetsy beeetsy hairs


While working on this guy, a Fraley Blue Boy, I stumbled across a better way to roan... especially minis! It involved a very beat up and sad looking brush, which turns out is perfect for this purpose. Along with a super fine brush for individual hairs, this effect was done using LOTS dry brushing in layers. I had been using a similar technique up to this point, but with more water added to the paint... basically I would put down the hair pattern and use washes to blend it out, and do this back and forth... back and forth.

This was different in that I took the straight paint and dipped the brush in, blotted it like crazy, and then dry brushed a small area, building up color in increasingly transparent layers. Then when I got the desired level of roany-ness, I went over it with the super fine brush to do tiny little hairs and the whirls etc. The effect is really great; and this is on a mini... its going to look awesome when put onto a trad. sized horse!

No comments: