Thursday, January 15, 2009


So, I've been really thinking alot about starting a new piece to offer either in resin or china... but I want it to be something really special. I think this is especially important now since there are SO many resins out there already, and I don't want this piece to get lost in the fray or be classified as mediocre. If I'm going to do this, I want to do it well!

But first things first... what will be my subject? Several of my friends who have met my dearest Lilly have said that she would make a perfect candidate since she is such a character. Lilly is my draft-cross mare... she is half percheron, half paint, and ALL personality. She is easily the smartest horse I have ever worked with, which I've found is both a blessing and a curse! She is one of those horses who has a very developed sense of humor, and does naughty things because she thinks its funny. On the flip side, you teach her nearly anything. I've taught her to do all sort of tricks, which she will occasionally use to her own benefit.... opening doors, opening gates, turning on the faucets, re-arranging the tack room...

The other interesting thing about Lilly is she is a black chestnut. Check out her mane and tail! That is the give-away.

I could capture some of that in a piece then it would be really something special! I know full well that she is not the picture of conformational perfection, but that is one of the things I love about her, if that makes any sense at all.

But, my question would be if anyone would be interested in a piece like this. I know I would enjoy sculpting it... I am still working out the details in my head. Should she be standing? Walking? Trotting? Here are some other pictures... I'd love to some input! I do think she'd make a lovely clinkie...

2 comments:

horsienut said...

I am a big fan of drafts and draft crosses and would love to see more of them! I prefer action models if they are resin so they can be used in performance, but I'm not brave enough to show a clinky in performance so pose isn't as important... though I still prefer non-standing models overall. A nice working walk or trot would be most versatile for performance (hint hint)!

Unknown said...

I think just walking too.. and I think she would make a lovely resin! or clinky..I love clinkys but only have a few small ones.. what size are you thinking of making her? Her color is really cool too! I didn't even notice until you said something in your post.. I had thought a black and white then I saw that tail..wow! cool color.. an old friend had a black chestnut peruvian stallion.. he had real red spots in places and neat dappling but his mane, tail and legs were almost black they were so dark.. its a really neat color.. I may have to paint one of them! lol I hope you'll post in progress shots whne you do her!
Rebecca Turner
www.solticeartstudio.blogspot.com