Monday, December 29, 2008

weener dogs!

This past weekend Greg and I went to go and visit some friends in upstate NY and chill out after the holiday chaos. We went up Friday evening and stayed until late Sunday afternoon, and just had a blast. They have 3 little dachshunds that are the cutest darn things I've ever seen... and the littlest, "Bitsy", has a fairy tale (tail?) story that I'd love to share.

I believe it was in October when Danielle (my friend in NY) got a call from one of her neighbors asking if they were missing a dachshund (since she has two, Frank and Beans). Danielle said no, that both of hers were snoozing on the couch... but thought that she better go check it out to see exactly what her neighbors had found. You can imagine her surprise when she first saw the little quivering dog on the neighbor's porch... days from starvation and in really, really rough shape. After coordinating with another neighbor to keep her for that night so she could run home and prepare for her arrival, Danielle scooped up the shaking little pup and brought her home. After some talking with the vet, they surmised that little "Bitsy" that this poor little girl was a puppy mill dog who, no longer able to have pups naturally, was dumped by her 'owners' in the neighborhood. She not only was not spayed, but had intensely bad teeth AND had a hernia from a poorly done c-section. All that has been taken care of now, and she is really something to behold.

After several months of excellent care, little Bitsy has flourished from a nervous, fearful little dog to the grand diva of the household. She is just a little princess... she loves to be cuddled and held, and has the most beautiful face... it just melts your heart! I snapped these photos over the weekend... enjoy!

In the first photo, Bitsy is on the left, and Beans is on the right. The other two of are Bitsy. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love weener dogs. My husband said he could never love a dog with no legs, so I don't have one. But I LOVE them :)

Unknown said...

Ohh! she si soo cute! she looks alot in teh face like my female min pin miney..smea color too.. how can oyu resist such a sweet pretty femenine face as that! how could someon dump that! there sure areso em sick people int ehworld! i liek weiner dogs.. lol I also love my minpins.. my little female is like..half monkey! she will wrap her front legs around your neck and hold on really tight ( like she has hands!) and then start to kiss and rub her face all over your face..and she kinda grunts and snorts and snuffles in happiness.... like a little pig..lol .. I call it huggling.. lol... a cross between a hug and a snuggle.. she will huggle with you for a good half hour straight if ya let her.. lol... I don't think she realizes she is a dog.. ya.. I luv em.. your lucky to find her.. she is so sweet looking! I think I have a picture of miney flying one my blog and some pics of peapod her son.. who is a heck of alot larger then her.. he takes after his grandsire and dam... and seem to think he is a lap dog but he is a little too big to be one.. but he trysd hard anyways... on my lap!
Rebecca Turner
www.solticeartstudio.blogspot.com