Monday, December 22, 2008

besides model horses...


This season I took on one portraiture commission; mainly because it was a friend who wanted a special gift for her husband. Of course it was a rush order, and of course it needs to be done by Christmas... but I've been having fun working on it. It is of their stallion, Charlie, and her husband's dog, Susie (who passed away over the fall). These two creatures mean the world to him, and she wanted to incorporate both into a painting, along with the chair he always sits. She even did all the leg-work and did a full photo-shoot of the horse, in front of their barn, in the exact pose she wanted... the only problem being is that she didn't have any good photos of the Susie... so that I would have to improvise.

8 hours into the painting and this is where I am... I've spent nearly ALL of that time on doing the architecture of the barn and getting the angles right. I don't do a lot of buildings, and man... if something is off... you know it right away! The biggest problem with oils is that I can't just go in with a ruler and use it to make the lines. So, every line you see has been done free-hand.

I still probably have another day and half left in it (approx. 15 hours) before it is finished. I usually work back-to-front... that is, background to foreground. Its pretty obvious where I stopped... I haven't done anything on the horse... the chair is really unfinished, and the whole front needs to be tightened up. Looking at it now... I also need to amp-up the shadows.

I'll post more pics tomorrow when it is more finished!

No comments: