Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Buyer Beware!!

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to let you all know about a change in labeling that could lead to disaster!

Michael's Craft stores are no longer selling Plastikote brand primer, but instead are selling Valspar. I asked the guy working in the paint section if it was the same, and he said yes, that it was exactly the same stuff, just with a new label. So I bought 2 cans and didn't give it a second thought.

I want to let you know that it is NOT the same. Plastikote IS a Valspar company, but the Valspar primer is chemically DIFFERENT than the Plastikote we know and love. When I used the Valspar primer, it was gummy, shiny, and remained tacky even after several days of drying. It was impossible to sand and miserable to try and work with. And, when I spritzed a bit of it over another resin that had Plastikote on it, there was a MAJOR chemical reaction and it all peeled and bubbled. It was awful. And to make matters worse... I learned when I tried to strip the horse that the Valspar primer does not always come off well with EZ Off because it is so gummy.

I will be calling Plastikote when they reopen next week to complain about this inferior product, how it is behaving, and if I can get the old Plastikote directly from them. I'll let you guys know what I find out!

This is a photo of the can you SHOULD be looking for if you like Plastikote. I swear by it... its my most favorite primer. The best is the GRAY (I've had mixed results with white, but that is typical of all primers).

4 comments:

Carol H. said...

Thanks for the warning! I've heard good things about Plasti-Kote but haven't tried it yet, so I'll make sure I get the right product when I do.

horsienut said...

Michael's stores in my area do not carry Plasti-Kote, but you can buy the Plasti-Kote automotive primer at auto stores. After checking the Plasti-Kote website, the auto primer appears to be the same as the primer pictured just in a different can. I tried Plasti-Kote in white and I got a bad can (spit a lot of grit out), and the other can was OK but it took longer to dry and didn't have as "velvety" finish as their automotive grey primer. I'm sticking with the grey :)

Braymere said...

Ack! Hope the victim wasn't Lone Star or Carlito! Thanks for the warning. I am due to replenish the priming supply and I would hate to have gone through that.

Corrie McDermott Soboda said...

I"ve never tried this brand even though I have a can of gray that I inherited.

I use Krylon Sandable primer since that is what we sell at AC Moore. I know many people have complained about the new nozzle, but I haven't had any difficulties with either the white or the gray. Goes on nice and comes off just as nice if you need it to.

Damn these companies that have to go and change what doesnt need to be touched~