Saturday, November 29, 2008

Poor Daisy... talk about a bad day!

We had a horrible scare this morning. Our basset hound got an ENORMOUS abbess on her cheek today. It just happened all of a sudden... I let them all out this morning to go to the bathroom in the yard, they came in and went back to sleep, and then when Daisy got up again at noon she had a softball size lump on her face right under her ear. By the time I got to the vet it was the size of a grapefruit!! Her whole face was swollen. At first I thought it was some sort of bite, like when she was sniffing around perhaps she inadvertently got stung or bitten. I've never seen an abbess get so big so fast, with no wound, bruise or anything! I can't imagine what happened. :-( She doesn't DO anything besides wander around and sniff, and so I can't figure out how she could have gotten this.

So, now she is recovering from the anesthesia since it had to be opened up and have drainage tubes put in. She has been wimpering all afternoon and its just making me feel terrible. Poor little girl... she is all doped up and totally bandaged up like she had a head injury!

I went out and got her some Frosty Paws (the doggie ice cream) for when she feels like eating. The other dogs are in a funk too since she isn't feeling well. This is a first for us; our cats have had abbsesses, but just little ones from fighting with other cats. But this one was HUGE, and it just appeared over a few hours. I'm just thankful that it wasn't a tooth!


4 comments:

horsienut said...

Awww, poor daisy! Hope she feels better soon :)

Betsy LaMere said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Betsy LaMere said...

Did they check her for Actinomyces (lumpy jaw)? The same thing happened to our pup a few months ago and it wasn't just an abcess. If our vet had not diagnosed it properly, we would have lost Caleb. I certainly hope that this is not the case with Daisy; but when I read your post it sounded all to familiar, and wanted to share my experience with you.

Liesl said...

Hi Betsy!

Thank you so much for writing!! I will call the vet first thing in the morning.